Monday, February 19, 2018

Shoe String Budget: Revamping a Halter

It looks like I will be getting Tank! Yippy! In six more days to be exact. This will be a tough week to get through!

This time around I am really working on a shoe string budget. I have a lot of horse gear and I need to make do with what I have. I found an old halter that I actually really like, purple with a plaid trim. It has been neglected and the chrome is chipping off
a bit. So I decided to spruce it up a little.

After two time through the washer it is looking a whole lot cleaner, but the chrome finish is flaking off. Back to the dollar store for two things. Gray nail polish and top coat!
Perfect! Now I carefully paint all the metal with the gray nail polish. This takes awhile because you have to go bit and bit and let it dry. I actually did it over several days and put on several coats.

I am sure that in time this will start to flake off again, but a few touch up and we should be fine. My goal really is just to give it that new feeling instead of going out and buying a whole new halter. After all it still is perfectly serviceable.
You can see how much better  it looks with just a little nail polish. Again, it takes awhile to do because you have to do a small part and then let it dry.

Next add the top coat.

Voila! Looking snazzy enough for my new boy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blankets ... should you, shouldn't you

A little miniature foal stands shivering in the spring rain, even with full shelter available. His winter coat is soaked through to the skin...

Popular Post