Monday, October 22, 2018

Update on Tank

Here is my boy from this summer. Get a load of those ribs!

My boy has had issues getting on weight and getting his feet back on track. A lot of this summer has been dealing with these two issues.

My farrier is a great guy and has been doing a wonderful job at getting Tank comfortable with having his feet done. We think he may have foundered, but I have not done r-rays so we are not positive. As my farrier said, it wouldn't change how we are dealing with his feet now. The growth that is coming in is looking better and we are still just waiting for a little more of the "dish" on his front feet to grow out.

As we are dealing with these issues, he also came up dead lame one day. Vet said it was just an abscess which after he cut it out, we treated with penicillin and a wrapped hoof. I learned that Tank really doesn't like a shot in his butt and he is not all that fond of one in his neck either. Not uncontrollable ... but not trilled either. And even an offering of carrots is not welcome after shots.

If you look carefully you will notice a beautiful mane in the picture at the right and in the one above, Tank has been roached. He rubbed off his mane. So I roached it. This fall he started to do the same thing again, even rubbing off his brand and the hair on the other side of his neck.

After some research I decided to do double doses of ivermectin, a treatment I found is used for horses with neck threadworms. This seemed to help with his rubbing and he is finally growing that hair back. I might have to repeat this is the spring, or I might get him a neck cover for his blanket. I just really want his mane to grow back. I have even thought of buying a new hay feeder for him ... but he is boarded and I don't really have the money.

Finally, back to the weight. Earlier in the year the stable he is boarded at decided that pasture horses would no longer get an afternoon feeding. I think that really impacted his weight, even though he has free choice hay. After teeth and other issues were ruled out, and his supplements were not doing enough, the vet suggested a switch to senior feed ... and a lot of it. That has made a difference. Thankfully, the barn owner is willing to give him a second feeding and he is  going into the winter with a little meat on his bones.

Health issues finally under control and I asked a friend to take a few rides on him.
He is a calm boy under saddle but needs work on steering. I am looking forward to moving forward with his boy. He has a great mind and is just a wonderful horse all around.

Although I have to wonder how this little hot house flower would have ever survived in the wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blankets ... should you, shouldn't you

A little miniature foal stands shivering in the spring rain, even with full shelter available. His winter coat is soaked through to the skin...

Popular Post